Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Back to School

It's the end of August, otherwise known as Back to School Season.

All over the place, mommas are talking about sending their kiddos off to school.  TV commercials, facebook posts, magazine covers and even real life conversations seem to all be shouting "Back to School!  The kids are going back to school!"


Some moms, mostly the young ones with brand-spanking-new kindergarteners, get a little teary when they talk about it.  They're going to miss their kids.  Their babies are growing up too fast...sniff.  Sigh. Hug.

There are those who can't wait to get the kids out of their hair/house.  "Woo-hoo!  Only nine more days until school starts!  Can't wait!  Mommy needs a break!"

As a homeschooler, I don't really have experience as either of these mommas.  I have never dropped my kid off at kindergarten and when school starts, my kids are still with me 24/7.  August isn't usually even that big of a deal because we usually try to do some kind of school year round and then sort of ease into a full day.

Most years, I swing back and forth between loving that we are blessed to be able to homeschool and being jealous of those who send their kids to public or private school.  I love our time together but hate that the house is ALWAYS a mess.  I love choosing what they learn but am often overwhelmed by the tremendous responsibitlity of being their (almost) only teacher.  I know that being home is a luxury many moms don't have but struggle with not contributing to the family financially.  We're incredibly social but I sometimes do worry that the kids are missing out on something (I'm not even always sure what they might be missing!).

The end of August brings a lot of feelings for me.  For many years it meant the challenge of a new crop of kids coming into my newly themed classroom.  Now it means the same crop, in the same room, with the same personalities, strengths, weaknesses and habits.  This, too, can be a challenge, but of a different kind.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with our choice.  Being home with the kids is a decision I will never regret.  I am spending their too-short at-home-years with them.  We're learning and growing together.  I have been there when they first counted to ten.  My ears heard the first words they sounded out.  I have gotten to see it when learning "clicked" and they got a concept for the first time.  These things are priceless.

For you mommas who are sending your kids off to school this week, blessings on you!  May you rejoice in the time you spend hearing about lockers, recess, boring teachers, snow days and the horrors of PE showers.  These are conversations are not ones we will have at my house.  Treasure them.  Be a blessing to the wonderful teachers who make a huge difference in the lives of your children.

For my fellow homeschooling mommas, blessings on you! May you enjoy teaching in your pajamas, making lunches while reciting times tables and snuggling on the couch for reading lessons.  May you be blessings to each other and to your families. Treasure your time together, for this too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment