Sunday, March 23, 2014

Unsolicited Advice for Your Wedding Registry - Kitchen Edition

This time, the advice is not totally unsolicited.  My dearest Kate, who was once one of my fifth grade students, is now a real grown up and is getting married soon!  She asked her Facebook friends advice on what to include and not to include on her registry.  Always a bastion of wisdom, I chimed in and decided to expand on it here.

Gift registries have come a long way over the years. They used to be paper pencil things you could fill out only at your local businesses.  Now they are electronic, world wide accessible and way more fun to fill out.

But somethings are the same.  If  you're getting married today, you're probably going to get towels, dishes and sheets, just like your momma and her momma before you.  Here's what else I think you should ask for.

Today I'm going to focus on things you will want for your kitchen:  Don't register for most of this stuff at Wal-Mart or Target or JC Penney.  Find a consultant and get Pampered Chef.  Their products will be so much better and you will use them forever.  A lot of it even comes with a lifetime warranty.  They do wedding showers and registries and what-not.  It's worth the effort!

 Specifically, get these:
  • Forged cutlery.  If you spend any time in the kitchen at all, you will need a good knife set.  I highly recommend the chef's knife, butcher knife and small paring knife.  I use them almost every day.
  • Stoneware.  Get the covered baker and a pizza stone.  If you plan to have a large family, get two.  They're so worth having.  Everything tastes better when cooked on a stone. 
  • Salad spinner.  I don't have one of these, but I wish I did.  My mom has one that I've used many times and it makes washing fruits and veggies a breeze.  It's a great way to let the kids help with meal prep, too.  
  • Can opener.  Get the one that actually breaks the seal rather than cuts the edges.  So much safer than having sharp metal in the kitchen.
  • Cutting boards.  Get a couple of sizes.  The mini ones are great for quick snacks and the larger ones for bigger meals.
  • Kitchen shears.  Get a pair.  Use them for cutting up chickens.  They are awesome.
  • Garlic Press.  Connie Seibel turned me onto these many years ago, when we were neighbors in Gridley.  I have used mine almost non-stop since then.  Garlic has about a million and one healthy qualities, so go ahead and stick it in everything.  Makes stuff yummy, too.
  • Mix-and-chop.  It's a funny, kind of star shaped utensil that makes chopping up ground beef, onions, etc such a breeze.  You want one of these.  Trust me on this.
Here are a few other, non-PC things you should have in your kitchen.
  • A Ninja.  No, not a Jackie Chan movie extra; a blender/food processor combo.  It's so fantastic, I cannot begin to tell  you how much I love this thing.  It's as awesome at chopping onions as it is at making smoothies.  Get one.  You'll thank me later.
  • Pyrex bowls and dishes with lids.  You're going to want a couple of these.  Glass is so much better than plastic.  You can freeze it, microwave it, and eat right out of it.  Be sure to get the ones with lids.  Lids are so much better than covering something with plastic wrap.  When you can, get the lids that snap on.  They are awesome!  We use these in my husband's lunch box almost every day.
  • A crockpot big enough to cook an entire roast or 10 pounds of ground beef.  This can be your best friend in the kitchen, especially if you work outside the home and when you have little kids to take care of.  
  • I love, love, love my Zyliss brand ice cream scoop.  It's the one thing I have that I love this brand more than the Pampered Chef equivalent.  It's that good. 
I will probably have more unsolicited advice for you on the rest of your list soon.  Be looking for it!

5 comments:

  1. Heavy cookie sheets like the ones they sell at Sam's Club (not non stick) .. Also get cooling racks that fit inside them and a large roll of parchment paper

    These cookie sheets do not warp and will last you a life time .. They can be used for many things, not just cookies

    ReplyDelete
  2. A kitchenaid mixer. It will be the only time someone will buy one for you and you'll talk yourself out of spending that much money on a mixer. But 4 mixers later you will wish you had one. The good big one with a handle on the bowl. Also non kitchen, but important enough to mention... a safe... you will have all kinds of new papers and valuables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy, I don't think I have those kind of cookie sheets. I may have to check them out.

    Stacy, you are so right! I should have put that on my list! I got one last summer and I absolutely love it. It's the basic model, but I still love it. I think the larger one with the handle on the bowl would be super fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Professional cookie sheets with silpat mats to fit. I bake and cook A LOT! These silpat mats are great and you don't have to cut parchment to fit every time. Plus, they are environmentally friendly. A roll of large heavy duty tin foil. This needs to be placed at the bottom of your oven. It saves your back on cleanup! Cast iron skillets. A really nice heavy duty stockpot and a really nice heavy duty saucepan. We buy ours at a restaurant supply store. Actually most of our supplies come from here! They cost a little more, but are high quality and all of it goes in the dishwasher! Corel-ware dishes. These things are almost unbreakable! The stoneware and china are pretty, but how often will you actually use them and how sad will you be when they break? A set of matching silverware. It doesn't have to be expensive...Wal-Mart and Bed, Bath and Beyond both carry decent stainless steel ones. Plan your table settings for 8-12. There might only be 2 now, but add kids and families with kids to a dinner party and you will eventually need more. We still have our tableware from our wedding 15 years and 6 kids ago! Lol. We also went with all white dishes and serving ware. This is practical. These are the most expensive pieces (like a couch or a kitchen table). You can always add colorful cloth napkins, flowers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice for a wedding registry. A lot of those things you mentioned, I would have never even considered. I am getting married soon are we are putting together our bridal registry. Who knew it could be so much work picking out stuff you want and need.
    http://www.mishmashinteriors.com/gifts-and-home-accessories.html

    ReplyDelete