Sunday, April 14, 2013

But All the Cool Kids are Doing It

Some time ago, I found a blog written by "a Christian Missionary in Costa Rica."  She writes with honesty and passion.  Her thoughts are often deep and challenging. She writes about the need for social justice, her hate for poverty tourism and the need for us to be salt and light to our neighbors.  She talks openly about sex in ways that more Christians need to hear.  She appears to love her husband, her children and her Savior.  More than once I have been moved to tears.  

She also curses like a sailor.  




More than once I've wanted to offer her some Orbitz.  (You know, to clean up a dirty mouth.)  In my lifetime I've been known to drop a bomb or two, especially in tough or painful situations.  I am not claiming to be perfect here.  Neither am I claiming that using multiple cuss words in each of her blog posts makes her less than what she claims.  But for me, it does take away from her message.

It feels a little like she's trying so hard to "reach the world" that she's succumbing to it.  Like she believes that she can't effectively minister to anyone if she's too old school Church Lady.  That all the "cool kids" are doing it, so she better do it, too.  


Is this just me? Am I a total prude?  Is this a cultural thing that I'm unnecessarily turning into a spiritual thing?  What about James 3:10?  "And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!"  Is this what "cursing" means?  It's not like she's using Jesus or God's names in vain.  That's a no-brainer.  (Ten Commandments lay that out in black and white.)  But what about all those other four letter words?  


Why is "poop" okay to say in front of the kids but I have to cross out some of the letters when I write the word $h!t so that no one is offended?  It's okay to say ass when talking about a donkey but not your booty or the idiot who just spilled his beer on you at a ballgame. What's up with that?  


Are we as Christians too rigid in our "rules" on these things?  Or are we too lenient and neglecting the message of Ephesians 4:29.  "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."


My gut tells me that Phillipians 4:8 holds the answer.  "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."


What do you think?  


No comments:

Post a Comment