Friday, March 11, 2011

Farewell to Fishy

This is Fishy, our first ever betta fish. 
He was a gift from Ms Kelly, EZ's VBS teacher a couple summers ago.



I guess it would be more accurate to say, this was Fishy.  

For several days now, Fishy's not been looking so good.  He's lost his shine and his color started to fade.  

This morning, I found Fishy swimming vertically in his little vase.  Head up, almost out of the water, and tail pointing straight down.  Then, around one o'clock today, Fishy met his maker.

The children were distraught.  

EZ and Baby Girl were all tears. 

Big E spoke in hushed tones and looked so sad. I was touched by his compassion.

They wouldn't let me flush him.  (It's probably a good thing because all I could think about was the episode of The Cosby Show where Rudy's goldfish dies and they flush him down the toilet.  It was hard to keep a straight face.)

So, when Daddy got home, they buried him in the backyard.  

But first, they decorated Fishy's coffin.

Translation "Bye-bye.  Fishy I love you.  Abby."
Fishy's Grave
I love you, Fishy.  From Eli and Ezra
I loved you.  If we get another fish they will never be...(continued on next picture)

(continued)...the same as you.  From Abby.
You were my best fish (I ever had).

Daddy dug a hole.
EZ placed Fishy in the box, water and all.  (Because Fishy likes water, Mom.)
Daddy lays Fishy in his final resting place.
The mourners watch as the first dirt is placed over the body.
Direct quote from the ceremony: "He was a good fish."
So, dear Fishy, farewell for now. Rest in peace, dear friend, rest in peace.



2 comments:

  1. oh, no! i'm so sorry about fishy!

    the operation christmas child is a great idea, by the way. My oldest daughter's birthday is early November....maybe we'll host a OCC party around then and call it a birthday party. thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, it really was a great way to have a party. Abby was SOOOO excited to get all the stuff for OCC. Her goal this year is to pack 100 shoeboxes. Only 95 to go! :)

    ReplyDelete