Thursday, February 17, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude

I'm gonna be honest here.  Yesterday was a crappy day.
A headache on Tuesday had resulted in a late nap and my sleep patterns were all out of whack.  I didn't get to sleep at all until after Vance had left for work.  EZ was up by 8:00, and so was I...kinda.  I tried to lay in bed and grab a few extra zzz's, but something about the three-and-a-half-year-old bouncing around me, saying "Momma!" every five point two minutes stopped me.

When I finally was ready to start the day, it was well past 10:00. We had breakfast (cereal and Pop Tarts).  The house was a wreck.  Seriously.  I have no idea how these four wonderful munchkins can make such a mess in such a short time.  Cranky, I immediately compare them to my sister's kids, who like their momma, have a little OCD in them and can't stand for things to be out of place.  My children have no such thing.  Zip.  Nada.  Nothing.  I think they may have the opposite of OCD, whatever that is.  Maybe I'll call it CEPAAS (Can't Ever Put Anything Away Syndrome).  Anyway, grouchiness ensued but only the kitchen/living areas got even close to clean.  (And they're only "good enough for now," which translates to most-stuff-is-picked-up and the-floor's-been swept [no less than five times yesterday, I swear it!]).

It was after 1:00 by the time we "started" school.  But E wasn't having any of it.  First he did his usual, "I've got to go to the bathroom, get a drink, get a bandaid, solve world hunger before I can start school" routine.  Fine.  By 1:30 he had graduated to a headache, and he wasn't the only one.  Exasperated, I told him he could take a nap or do school.  He chose the nap...kinda.  Mostly, he just complained about how loud the rest of us were being (our house is really small, so there's not really a good place for napping).   Then I caught him reading his new Boxcar Children Graphic Novel.  (Fantastic, by the way.  A great way to introduce one of my old favorite series to my son.)  Turns out, that's all he wanted to do; read.

I didn't really get him to do anything until after his daddy got home.  That said, we were still doing school at 8:30 last night.  It was, to put it mildly, a struggle.

That said, today has gone much more smoothly.  And I've decided, thanks in part to my friend, Sarah Colligan, to just be thankful.  So, rough as this week has been, here's what I'm thankful for.

Sunshine.  Last week it was -20 and two feet of snow on the ground.  Today, it's 70 and the snow has melted.  Yay!

Mom.  She took EZ today for a while.  I love that little stinker, but the quiet was a nice change for today.

It's not quite 3:00, and school is done.  And we really didn't start until about 11:00, so I'm extra glad about that!

Bonnie at the vet clinic trimmed Flash's toenails.  It's a job I hate and don't really have the right tools for.  He feels better and there's a lot less clackety-clacking when he crosses the kitchen floor.

My husband, who gets up at 3:30 and goes to work for at least 12 hours everyday, so I can stay home with the kids.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment