Monday, September 23, 2013

For Real, What Would Jesus Do?



I know, I know.  The whole WWJD thing is so 1998.  But seriously, this is what I'm wrestling with.

What would Jesus do if He were here, in America, today?  What would He think about homosexual priests?  Gay marriage?  Boy Scouts allowing gay members?  Fred Phelps and the WBC?

I am not about to claim that I know the answers to those quesitons.  But I'm weighing what I know and what I believe and what American culture says and what the Bible says and what I just don't know what to do with.  It's all mixed up in my brain and my heart and my soul.

The things I know are few but solid.  The things I believe are many but evolving.  American culture is constantly changing but the Bible never does.



Here's what I know:
  • Jesus publicly met with all kinds of people; tax collectors, adulterous women, Samaritans, Jews, fishermen, Pharisees.  He didn't think himself too good for that and He is the Son of God.  
  • As Christians, we are called to love.  When asked, Jesus said we were to do two things.  #1. Love God with everything we are.  #2. Love people.  These are the greatest commandments. Being as there are no adjectives before the word people (or neighbor, if you must), I'm assuming that it means all people.  Not just the ones we relate to, agree with or like.  
  • All of us are sinners.  With the exception of Christ himself, not a man has lived a life good enough to earn God's grace.  Not a one of us is exempt.  We all fall short here.  No one can earn his way to Heaven.
Here's what I believe:
  • The Bible doesn't ever mention Jesus meeting with homosexuals but based on my understanding of Roman culture at the time, it was probably somewhere on his radar.
  • Some people are probably born with homosexual tendencies while others develop same-sex attraction later in life.  Every story is unique and people don't fit nicely into boxes or labels.  One man's honest change does not make another man's struggle false.
  • Most homosexual kids are hurting.  I'm not saying this as a homophobic crazy person but rather because I think most teenagers find dealing with sexuality (gay or straight) to be tough.  Relationships aren't easy.  Those who don't fit the norms have an even harder time.  Wrestling with identity in your teen years is painful but probably even more so for many who find themselves attracted to their same-sex peers.
  • Hurting people need healing.  The Church should a place they can find that.  Christians should be opening their arms and their doors to welcome all kinds of hurting people, eagerly telling them of the love God has for them; showing them that love in tangible ways, no matter who they are or what their struggles may be.
  • The Church is going to need to have a plan for how to handle gay couples in their congregations.  It's not like LGBTs are the only people in the pews who are sinning sexually.  I would guess that most of us have at one time or another been outside of God's plan in this area.  We (the Church) welcome people who are living together, unwed mothers and divorcees (as well we should).  Should we welcome all of those but then pull away the welcome mats for gays?  No way.
Here's what American culture says:
  • Homosexuality is normal.  Love is love and people should be able to love whomever makes them happy.
  • Christians are narrow-minded gay haters who just want to rule over everyone and judge them.  They're also hypocrites.  "Judge not that ye not be judged." 
  • Sex is not something to be kept for marriage.  It's a feel-good and people have it all the time, with all kinds of partners and that's just fine.  Virginity is for losers and anyone who thinks it's not is to be mocked.
Here's what the Bible says:
  • After creating man, God looked, decided Adam needed a helper and created a woman.  (Genesis 2:18-22)  He said this was "very good."
  • Men are not to have sex with one another; it's a horrible sin. (Leviticus 18:22)
  • Gay and lesbian behavior is sinful.  Paul describes it as "shameful." (Romans 1:18-32)
  • Practicing homosexuality is contrary to sound doctrine. (I Timothy 1:10-11)
Here's what I just don't know what to do with yet:
  • How do I show love to people who are living willfully sinful lives while pointing them to the Truth?  
  • I have a couple of Boy Scouts in my home.  They love it.  BSA recently elected to allow openly gay boys into the organization.  I know people who have left the organization or quit supporting it because of that.  Do we leave?  Do we stay?  Which decision reflects best on Christ and his commands?  What do we do if they decide later to allow gay leaders?  Is it my duty to take a stand and hold the line (leave the BSA) or to be salt and light to where we are (stay in BSA)?  I can see both sides.
  • How do I distance myself from Fred Phelps and his WBC clan of haters? How can I let people know that love, not hate, is my first directive?  
There's so much more that I don't know.  Probably things I haven't even thought of yet.  Above all, I want to be honoring to Christ and lead people to Him through love.  

What do you think?  How should Christians respond to these issues?  What would Jesus do?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 2014 Update:
I read this blog post by Jen Hatmaker and I think she answers my question really well.  She speaks with love and her heart is clearly breaking for all of the people effected by this issue. You should read her post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment